Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Finally Reaching the Finale of the Book: Dan Brown's "The Lost Symbol"

Finally I have finished reading my book, after a couple of months of trying to find some time to read the latest book of Dan Brown (not “newly released” anymore; it’s already gone old): The Lost Symbol.
It of course gave me the taste of Dan Brown’s other classics such as Angels&Demons and the DaVinci Code. But I think because of having gotten used to his style, sometimes I have sensed what was to come on the following pages. But without contestation it was yet exciting and fluent enough for the reader to resist the sleep late night in bed. And I must admit that the ending was pretty surprising this time. However, after the big surprise is revealed, Dan Brown has still yet to tell and I personally did not feel that much of excitement while reading those after the great revelation. It's not like it is unimportant stuff that he's telling after the surprise, but it's simply because that the secret unveiled has so much effect that you feel like, nothing would ever surprise you anymore.
I can recommend you to read it (if you haven’t done so), it’s simply about Masons and a wealthy family with the highest degree among Masons. Personally, I have always wondered about Masons about what they do and what kind of decisions they take during their meetings and what kind of actions they take right after. As a Rotaractor, I always encounter people who tend to mix our clubs with Masons and they blame us being the slaves of the US. It always surprises me to see how skeptic people can be and how their imagination works, especially about the things they do not know! They literally blame something they barely know, by mixing it up with something they do not know at all… It is really what makes me laugh!
Anyway, as I said, the book is mainly on Masons. It caught my attention because of this, foremost. I have always wondered them and searching on the Internet does not provide me with the information I need. This book gives you the details you want to know or do not want to know-all of them together. So I am at least happy that I have learnt something about this always-kept-as-a-secret topic. I bet Dan Brown made Masons upset this time!

Of course, in this book, our hero Robert Langdon almost dies –as always- and somehow nails it and comes back to the real world. But still he is described in such a positive way, you feel reluctant to stop liking him and trusting him.

One thing I always have after reading a book: I never remember the characters’ names! It’s a total blank when it comes to the names. I read a book of 500 pages and the main character is probably mentioned in the book with his name more than 300-400 times and I cannot remember the name after reading the book. I am not talking about months later by “after” it’s simply the following day! BLANK. This book has the advantage of using the same character as the previous ones (Robert Langdon) and other characters’ names are also easy to remember: Katherine, Peter, etc. (I hope I remember them right).
The worse thing is I have the same habitude of not remembering people’s names in real life as well! Whenever I am introduced to someone, I am so obsessed with how my name sounds as I say it that I never listen to the other person’s name! How silly is that! It’s totally difficult not memorizing people’s names; I always end up trying to grab a business card or trying to see his initials on his cufflinks. I feel myself lucky when there’s a badge around his neck with his name on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment