Thursday, May 6, 2010

Things Observed While Travelling: Dubai

I spent my weekend in Dubai, UAE before which I thought 2 days would not be sufficient but at the end I was convinced that it was already sufficient.

First of all, there's not that much to see. Considering Dubai is settled in the middle of a desert, it is not that surprising to realize that there's little to see.The most amazing thing is to see what you can achieve with extreme amount of money. These guys build (or have Euorpeans-Americans build) islands on the sea, lakes in the middle of the desert... It's like they love challenging the nature! They also love to be remembered by "superlatives": the tallest building in the world, the largest duty free in the world, etc.

Other than that, there's not that much to do. If I were to stay one more day, I would have layed at the beach or probably left Dubai and go see Abu Dhabi.So if you are planning on going there, keep it short unless you love to lay under sun for days.Additionally, I have never visited this much and this big shopping malls at a time! Unlike most of the men, I don't hate shopping but even for me, this was too much! Since it's extremely hot outside, you tend to spend time indoor, consequently inside the malls. But they are so big and so exhausting that you cannot do anything else after leaving them.

Besides, Dubai has nothing to do with being "cheap", it is extremely expensive. Even the worldwide chain brands scam, by selling their products more expensive than worldwide quotations. So in terms of shopping, it is a bit dissapointing. I heard that they raised the prices after the turmoil.

To sum up, being stuck at a mall and not being able to buy anything (because you know you're getting scammed) is lame!I visited this Outlet Mall called Dubai Outlet Mall, a little bit outside the city center, and it sucked! It has nothing to do with the ones in the US or even in Europe. After a whole day digging, I managed to buy a shirt, a shirt only!The only cheap thing is electronics. If you need something and you are planning on going to Dubai, wait and buy it there. It's almost the half price. I bought this gorgeous digital camera half price.Anyway, if only Dubai-ans had something rather more related to their culture so that we could buy before going home, something other than chocolate coated dates or dates with almond. Because everything is made in asia or some other country than Dubai. It's like these guys produce nothing.

I can say that it is always good travelling on holidays so you can go see what Dubai literally is but you better keep your expectations low. The ads and commercials on Dubai might be misleading and exagerated.

No comments:

Post a Comment